New 80-400mm

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Henrik Herranen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661Gear list
Like?
Re: New 80-400mm
In reply to Rich Rosen, Mar 5, 2013

Rich Rosen wrote:

Someone in this thread mentioned that the Canon 100-400 is about $1500. How is the Nikon $1200 more?

The Nikon is a 2013 lens. The Canon 100-400L was released in 1998, in other words 15 years ago. A lot has happened since then. The 100-400L is a nice lens, but its image stabilization is of the first generation and the lens could be a bit better in almost every way.

I don't really get why people are complaining that new lenses are more expensive than old ones. Of course it would be fun if they weren't, but this has, with some notable exceptions, pretty much always been the case. A year or two after the release, the price for the new lens will slowly start to go down. Then, in 10-15 years it will be "the good old affordable lens" when the next "outrageously expensive" update is released. By that time nobody will remember the original MSRP of the 2013 80-400.

If I was in Nikon land I'd be happy that you finally have a 80-400 that can auto focus with all Nikon DSLR's, and which has all the latest technological advancements. For those with Canon envy, be assured that the Canon 100-400 pump zoom is one of those with most frequent update requests. And when that lens some day (probably pretty soon) will be updated, rest assured that it will definitely notcost 1300€. And we'll have an exactly similar outcry in the Canon lens forum from people who think the new price is bloody murder.

Kind regards,
- Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow