Olympus E-7 follow up, time to market and other choices

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,702Gear list
Like?
Re: As an outsider...
In reply to alatchin, Mar 5, 2013

alatchin wrote:

Well, I and many others agree with your two cents, but not only for the 90-250, but also for the 50-200 which is f3.5 at 200mm which is pretty good for the lenses pricepoint. Combined with the EX20 I have seen some lovely macros shot with it as well.

Olympus to my mind has 2 challenges, either they need to bring the E-7 level camera down to around $1300-$1500 Or they need to add value, such as you mentioned f8 focus points, better video and connectivity and some other cool abilities... You know one I wish for, is using this new IBIS to do tilt and shift movements!!!! which would be very very cool.

Of course releasing a 300mm f4 and a 100mm macro would also do wonders for the system, especially if they made them fully CDAF compatible so you could use them on both systems with the simple MMF3 adapter.

There are a lot of options Olympus has to "get noticed" again. I recently shot a video of my son at 150mm (300mm in FF) at his swimming lesson, the video is smoooooth with no handshake, the IBIS is a real selling feature, and incredibly innovative.

All the best

Abraham

Indeed, the IBIS is a really good selling point. The main advantage being that when a new system is developed, Olympus (unlike Canon and Nikon) doesn't have to redesign its lenses. Since lenses are the biggest investment and should have many years of use in them, it is much more practical to change the IS system with the camera that you change more frequently anyway.

I would certainly take note if Olympus came up with an E-7 aimed squarely at the 7D market in terms of features, performance and price.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow