70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725Gear list
Like?
Re: Huge conflict of interest.
In reply to carlk, Mar 5, 2013

carlk wrote:

Mirrorless is the way of the future for high end photography except for a few pros with real special needs. Smart phone camera will take over the low to mid-level market. This may not happen right away but it will happen in 5~10 years if not sooner. In the mean time Canon and Nikon will try to sell as many dslr as possible, just like HP and Dell will try to sell as many laptops as possible, when this is the only thing they are good at. This is another reason a smart consumer should look at the big picture instead of stick with only one brand he/she is familiar with.

I don't think it's that bad. DSLRs still have their strengths and I don't see the mirrorless market offering high performance cameras yet. The best so far might be something like the Olympus E-M5, but that one isn't capable of keeping up with a high end DSLR at speed, nor do I see an E-M5 attached to a long tele lens to be very comfortable to use.

That said, the biggest advantage of a DSLR is simply that it is a DSLR and allows you to see the scene through the lens. No matter how good an EVF is, I still prefer to see the actual scene through the lens.

So even though I love the mirrorless cameras and would certainly consider an E-M5 or Fuji E-X1 in the future, I don't see it as a substitution for my 7D and 100-400L. More like a compliment.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow