New Rumor of replacement to 80-400 AF VR Lens.

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
bflood
Contributing MemberPosts: 536
Like?
Re: New Rumor of replacement to 80-400 AF VR Lens.
In reply to thomas2279f, Mar 5, 2013

Seems to me that this lens will sell a lot of Bigmas for about half the Nikon price.  I have an original, and don't plan to buy the new version.  If I was in the market for such a lens, this would make the Bigma an obvious choice for me.  The difference in price is a trip to Alaska to use the lens!

There's also the risk that the optical improvement, combined with AFS and VR, could take sales from the 200-400. That will depend heavily on the optics at the 400 end of the range.

I've never seen why Nikon would modernize the 80-400. AFS, new VR, and some optical improvement would have to push the price into an area beyond what most hobbyists will spend, me included. I can't see many D3100/D3200 owners buying one, and relatively few D5100/D5200 owners. At $2800, the audience has to be considerably smaller than for the original.

It has been formally announced (see Nikon's USA website) for $2799.  20 elements (the original has 17), AFS and newest VR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow