Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Priscilla Messinger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904
Like?
Lighting for Ballroom Dancing
Mar 5, 2013

I shoot a lot of Ballroom Dancing. The main venue is lit with chandeliers and, depending on the time of day, there is often sunlight streaming in from the windows. In this venue, the light is constantly changing, both with the arc of the sun and with the position of the dancers (under a chandelier, near a window, etc.)

Right now, I have a D7000 with 50/1.8, and 1 SB600, which I use in the hotshoe, bouncing off the ceiling. I can get some pretty decent photos with this, but would like more light. It has been suggested that I buy an Alien Bee B800, to be triggered by a Pottix Strato which will allow me to still use the SB600 in the hotshoe. This setup makes sense to me, and the cost (around $400) is doable for me as a retiree with a limited income.

I thought I would get other opinions and ideas before going ahead and spending my tax refund.

Here are my latest pictures in that venue: http://www.meetup.com/Dancers-of-Central-Massachusetts-DOCMA/photos/13256822/#206899922

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on this.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow