Camera for Travel and Hiking/Backpacking?

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BuddyRich
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Camera for Travel and Hiking/Backpacking?
Mar 5, 2013

The wife and I are taking a 3 week trip to Paris and London this spring, plus I tend to shoot more landscapes and nature photography while hiking (more panoramic vistas and flora than fauna though), which would be my used for the camera I buy.

I currently shoot a D90 with the 16-85VR and 70-300VR (plus 35mm and 50mm primes).  I don't want to bring the big and bulky D90 with me to Europe, and if I get something that is lighter and smaller all-round, all the better when backpacking.

I have an X20 on pre-order, thinking this would be the perfect travel camera, but have been underwhelmed by the images I have seen so far.

Not that they are bad but I am really turned off by the lack of detail and the black peppering that has appeared in some samples shown.

So I am thinking I can go up a step up, perhaps buy the x100s or x-E1 /w kit lens, or the OMD...  The X100s is smaller and less bulky (including the lens) than the X-E1 but I would be forever stuck with the fixed focal length lens...  The E1 has the advantage of being an interchangeable lens.  I'd probably initially get the 18-55 kit lens as a general puporse for now, maybe the 35mm for the museums in Paris...  Not sure on the Olympus side, but I do like that the camera is weather sealed, though I am less enamored with the IQ of it.

How bulky is the X-E1 /w 18-55?  The body of the X100s and it look more or less the same, but the lens looks like it makes a bit of a difference.  Even the X-E1 /w 35mm prime is bigger than the x100s....

Has anyone had any trouble getting into museums with the X-E1, especially those that frown on DSLRs/Pro cameras vs. P&S (another plus for the X20/X100s)?

How are they size-wise compared to the D90 and say the 16-85VR?  By all accounts the IQ is probably greater in the XE1 than the D90, in a smaller package.  I am just wondering how much smaller (and I guess lighter) and if its worth investing in another system.  Granted its not that much but its just a hobby for me.

Ideally I could try them out in person but the XE1 is hard to find in stock here in Ottawa...

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow