Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
A Small Win for Ricoh
Mar 5, 2013

As mentioned in my earlier post, i took a 7 day trip to Japan for vacation recently and luckily, my hotel was right next to TWO major camera stores where virtually every camera you can think of is on display where you can mess around with it.  Even a Pentax 645D!  Absolutely amazing country Japan is.

After some particularly poor experiences in the Fujifilm SLR forum here, I decided that my long association with Fujifilm cameras is about at an end.  Living in China, where there is virtually no English at all, I find forums to be a nice outlet away from the incessant Chinese language that I cannot understand.  Hence, I have rack up a LOT of forum posts, here and elsewhere.

The recent arrival of some seriously de-ranged shills in the Fuji forum has sucked the life out of that place and has resulted in a rather demented experience.  So I have been on the lookout to try something new.

In Japan I was able to try virtually every camera that interests me.  Relevant to this forum, I did try the Ricoh GXR and found it to be again, a very nice camera, although clearly dated in some performance parameters.   I like the color Ricoh produces in its images.  Very impressive.  I toyed around so very slightly with the idea of getting a GXR, but just could not make a convincing case for that.  The lack of a road map in the past has always bothered me but now the lack of a pulse even more so.  The one person at the store who spoke passable English was very unenthusiastic with trying to sell me a Ricoh when I asked him questions.

I wanted a new camera but could not stomach going with a mainstream brand like Nikon, Canon, Sony, or Panasonic.

So I ended up buying (just yesterday) a Sigma DP2M.  I played with these DP cameras in the store, with my own SD card in it and brought home some absolutely amazing images.  The level of resolution in these photographs is simply jaw dropping.

I didnt buy in Japan, but the seed was planted, finally sprouting yesterday.

The small win for Ricoh?   B & H sells extra batteries for the DP2M and they are Ricoh branded.  Sigma batteries are in very short supply.

So I bought my very first Ricoh product, a lithium battery.  At least here Ricoh's lack of a road map for their batteries did not bother me.

Hope you got a laugh from this.  All in good fun.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Pentax 645D Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow