SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,129Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 & 100/300 or Canon 7D 100-400L
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Mar 4, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

amtberg wrote:

AJWales wrote:

I currently have a GH! with 100/300 as my carry about birding camera... I also have a Canon 7D with 500 F4 (way to heavy to carry about but superb combo)... I am debating whether to get a GH3 body to upgrade because the GH1 is too slow to focus, only 3 fps burst.. and 12 MP... Should I do that or spend the same amount of money on a Canon 100-400 F4.5 L lens to go with the 7D I already have....

I am really stumped here.. I know the 7D combo will be good but its a lot bigger and heavier that the Lumix combo.. I am very unsure whether the GH3 will do what I want in the field as a still camera or is it too biased to video... But I love the lightness and ease of use of the GH1/100-300..

UGH!!!..... Help please

First, the Canon setup isn't just a bit bigger ... it's a LOT bigger!

That said, the 100-400 is significantly better than the 100-300, and the combination is certainly better for BIF shooting. But if you don't have it with you, it's worthless....

Indeed, I wonder how much better is the Canon lens, the Panasonic Lumix is already fine. Id I had to choose I will go for the Micro 4/3 option.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Based on the review from SLRGEAR the 100-400mm is average compared to current zooms.  Of course a DSLR will have the advantage for continuous AF, but the GH3 and 100-300 will be less than half the weight and much smaller.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#154.310,381.35,ha,t

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow