Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,455Gear list
Like?
Re: DA* 16-50: your take on it?
In reply to gdourado, Mar 4, 2013

gdourado wrote:

Thank you all for your insights.

All in all, would you say this lens ins on par with premium DX offerings from the other manufacturers and systems?

The Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 is at a different level. Heavier built lens. Largely metal construction, but also weighs 200 g more. With the old pricing on the Pentax, the Pentax was a much better buy, but now it costs as much as the Nikkor does retail, so be careful on what you pay (I see Amazon has it for about $500 less than retail). I paid like $540 for mine as an Amazon Warehouse deals (those days are long gone though). So as long as your aren't paying MSRP I think the Pentax is fairly priced given competitors (yes, it is higher than Tamron/Sigma, but that is true with Nikon and Canon too).

I don't know that image quality is much different between the Nikkor or Pentax, usually f/2.8 zooms are used around f/4 or 5.6 with a flash and both are very sharp in that range. When I had my K20d the camera had a severe front focus issue that I discovered after returning my 16-50. I might have liked my 16-50mm more if my K20d had been focusing correctly when I had it.

Also, it is the only normal zoom with constant f2.8 and full weather sealing, correct?

Cheers!

Correct. You can save money going with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, but you won't get weather sealing, and getting those lenses is very hit or miss. You might get a good one, you might not. I don't know if your odds are better with the Tamron or the Pentax. My recommendation for these is avoid the used market and buy new from a place you can return the lens no questions asked.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow