Your Holy Trinity of lenses

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: Your Holy Trinity of lenses
In reply to bparanoid, Mar 4, 2013

I haven't found a trinity on a single platform yet, but the Nex may get me there this year, sooner than Nikon FX will. I've been mostly a Nikon shooter and my current trinity on FX is:

28mm f/1.8
50mm f/1.4 (not ideal)
85mm f/1.8

I don't like the 50mm fov as my middle lens. I find it boring and I don't really take anything interesting on it. I prefer 35mm, but Nikon does not have a good f/1.8 option and the 1.4 is huge and expensive, which brings me to my Nex-7

I've had the 24mm lens for a while, but only recently started using it a lot. I've decided that the Nex plus Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is my favorite combo for general photography. What is lacking is a good wide prime in a native mount. Later this year, I think my trinity will be:

12mm f/2.8 Zeiss (hoping it will meet expectations)
24mm F/1.8 Zeiss (best combo imaginable)
50mm various (I have the Nikon f/1.4 and the old Nikor-H f/2, but will probably buy the SEL for native mount and size)

I actually like 50mm on the APSC sensor.

This trio, combined with the size and weight advantages could mean my Nikon sits home more often.

Rich

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow