Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
johnznyc
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: Samsung could kill the competition in 2013
In reply to Michael Barker, Mar 4, 2013

Michael Barkowski wrote:

And I think it would be cool if they made:

• A DSLR-size mirrorless camera including top LCD to show settings, big grip, lots of battery life, good balance for long lenses, articulating OLED, top-end VF, flash ... in other words matching or exceeding the Nikon D7100 or Sony Alpha point by point and still coming in underweight by excluding the mirror and just by being better at everything. Personally, I think it should be an APS-C NX camera. We don't need more FF choices.
  • A fast telephoto prime. Like the Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 but a little longer and a little lighter. With a price not in the stratosphere, say $450.
  • A couple more mid-range zooms. 16-85mm, 24-135mm. Personally I don't know why 24-135mm are only found for FF - the range makes great sense for APS-C.

I agree 100%, especially for a mirrorless DLSR using super high quality LCD and more important, the viewfinder -- advances here could make a mirrored DLSR obsolete for most...

Still, Samsung's biggest issue in the camera market is the lack of a "marquee" brand name and while I am just getting back into photography, brand-name and cost seems more important to many than image quality, much like fine wines...

My Sony RX100 is a good example -- to a friend of my, the Leica lens acted as a stamp of approval.  Without it, to him it is just a point and shoot camera...

Also, I would like to see no more mistakes from Samsung, such the poor jpeg engine.  In review after review, this is hurting image quality perception, even though raw images are equal to the NEX-7.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow