Started Mar 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fft81
Contributing MemberPosts: 896
Like?
What nexxt?
Mar 4, 2013

I have 70-200 f/2.8 VRII on D800. I am looking to buy a prime lens in the same focal range. I am looking at these lenses:

Nikon 85 f/1.4 D or G

100 f/2 zeiss

135 f/2 zeiss

200 f/2 AIS (cant afford the af version)

budget up to $2K-$2.2K

Intended use is portraits, may be little bit of landscape. Macros definitely have the added advantage of macro shooting, which i currently do very little of.

Currently i am leaning towards 135 f/2 although 85 f/1.4 sounds tempting. Ultimately i'd like to have all of these lenses on my d800. Which one should i spring for 1st? I read that modern nikors lack contrast, which was sacrifice made to increase resolution. So i am somewhat tempted to go with zeiss over 85 nikor. I intend to never sell the lens i get for as long as i shoot platform compatible with these lenses.

For personal use my current most favorite lens on d800 is 50mm f/1.4 AI; although i usually reach for one of the f/2.8 trinity lenses when shooting for friends and family.

Thanks ahead

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow