Anyone have the Zeiss 2/135 APO Sonnar yet?

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,141Gear list
Like?
Re: Zeiss 135 F2 vs Nikon 135 F2 DC
In reply to Mssimo, Mar 4, 2013

Mssimo wrote:

A comparison was done between the Zeiss 2/135 and Nikkor 135mm DC .

In summary, the Zeiss is much better (as it should be for the price)

• Nikon is a mess at F2 when it comes to CA and other artifacts. Sharpness is also not great compared to Zeiss.
  • Zeiss had no CA, LOCA that I could notice at any aperture. Some did notice a tad at F2 but this may be something called sensor blooming (tends not to go away as you stop down) This is very hard to notice, even after someone points it out. Non issue for myself.
  • Zeiss is so sharp at F2 that nikon needs F8 to be in the same level.
  • Zeiss does not get much better when stopping down. This is because its already so sharp. On D800e, you should avoid anything higher than f5.6, unless you need DOF.
  • Zeiss f9 or f11 is about as good as f2. If you need to stop it down, it will still perform.
  • The only bad thing about the Zeiss is that its "too" sharp for portraits, if you subject is older than 25ish. This is a plus for nikon, since it does give a nice smooth rendition of skin. Another plus for the nikon is the price (about half) if you can find one.
  • Bokeh on the Zeiss does have the cats eye effect (on edges) This can not be avoided on a lens of this type. Stopping it down to f2.8 or f4 makes it round.
  • Bokeh has little texture, and very uniform color.

In conclusion of my observations, this lens could cost $4000 grand and it would still be worth every penny. I believe it Nikon made one with the same performance and AF..it would cost even more.
I don't believe I can think of a single lens* on the market that performs as well as this one. If you disagree, please point it out.
(*Lens for FF DSLR, not including Super Teles like the Nikkor 800mm F5.6)
-- hide signature --

HI!

Thanks for the summary!

I'm really looking forward to the 135/2.

Even though I understand that great equipment doesn't guarantee great images, I think that the Zeiss135/2 will help me out on occasion. Every once in a while I get a shot with the 200VR or Zeiss 100/2 that I say to myself, "Hmm, I think I'd have a hard time getting that type of image with a lesser lens":

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/3200s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200

Nikon D3 ,Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 ZF
20s f/22.0 iso800.In-camera Noise reduction.In-camera Image merge

I hope to have at least the occasional similar experience with the Zeiss 135/2.

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow