70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,669Gear list
Like?
Long-term reliability...
In reply to nedelcho, Mar 4, 2013

nedelcho wrote:

Everyone think that current Canon cameras are overpriced. I think not. At the moment Canon have better quality control and this cost money. Their bodies are more expensive for a reason (for example, look at lens rentals blog posts). Nikon are very aggressive with pricing and features and everyone think they are the best, but in practical use it is not so and fanboys will not admit it. The camera does not only need the best features, but has to be reliable and get the picture no matter what. Unfortunately current nikon generation is not as good build as canon's.i

...is the most important features in products, not only cameras...but for cameras it is extemely important. Imagine your camera just breaking down during that 3000 GBP tour to the Galapagos, on top of Kilimanjaro, or on Safari.

Unfortunately, reliability cannot as easily measured as paper specs. It is also a statistical function. You always hope that it is better in more expensive products, but this need not to be. In the 80ies I bought a 100 € (200 DM) walkman with nice solid looking design  and only few features. It broke down after only two years. I then got a cheap 25 € (25 DM) walkman. After 20+ years, this one is still in working order (although getting very little use now).

Based on this, you experience as a camera vendor and renter is very valuable. Does the EOS 60D and Rebels have more failures than the EOS 7D? How about Pentax K-30 and Pentax K-5?

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow