Is it worth stepping into the world of Medium Format photography? (film or digital)

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Jalmod90
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Re: As a learning exercise ...
In reply to Sante Patate, Mar 4, 2013

Sante Patate wrote:

... yes. The reason to do this is the different way of working that medium format imposes. Compared to digital, 35mm film is slower and more thoughtful, but compared to 35mm film, medium format film is monastically contemplative. Which makes your pictures better.

As you will have discovered, medium format digital is buttock-clenchingly expensive, and for learning purposes no better than digital in any other format. It is medium format film that you want, and that is cheap. A Mamiya 645e in excellent condition with lens and film insert is under $500 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800910108-USE/Mamiya_645E_Pro_Value_Pack.html). A few bits and pieces to develop your film, a flat-bed scanner and you are away.

This looks like a good start. While I do not mind shooting film, I simply don't know where I could process said film without having to ship it to a different state. Any recommendation for film? Do you think its even worth the trouble of looking for a body that accepts both film and digital backs if I decide to pursue it further?

-- hide signature --

"In the Internet age, the bathroom is now the photography studio.In the film age, the bathroom was the developing lab.
And before the film age, I guess it was just the outhouse." - Anonymous

Jalmod90's gear list:Jalmod90's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow