NYC Skyline C&C welcome

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 13,535Gear list
Like?
Re: NYC Skyline C&C welcome
In reply to DanSD5100, Mar 4, 2013

DanSD5100 wrote:

Took these shots of Manhattan today, birds went crazy and in my excitement i just started firing off like crazy trying to capture them, yet not getting dumped on.

Any suggestions for improvement are always appreciated

The first thing I noticed was the white balance is off on the first two and maybe a little on the other two as well. There is way to much sharpening as artifacts are everywhere, even in the sky. Lastly, try to get a pleasing composition. The first one has the skyscraper to close to the edge and would look a lot better with some space between it and the edge.

I did a little work on two of these to show you what I am talking about. The last one I think has a little bit of motion blur as you shot this at 1/30th which is a little slow for hand holding or shooting things that move, like birds. Here it is with the white balance corrected, blurred to get rid of the artifacts, and cropped for better composition IMHO.

Here it the other one with the white balance corrected, softened, and cropped. Dave

The bottom fence posts are distracting too. If you can, position yourself closer or hold the camera higher to avoid such Obstacles, the pic will be much better.  If you had placed the left side of your viewfinder about where I have it, then the crop wouldn't be necessary. Hope this helps. Dave

-- hide signature --

Visit my gallery at http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/
View of Yosemite Valley, Bridalveil fall 4 frame vertical pano taken from the tunnel parking lot.
http://davesphotography9173.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p1109307522-2.jpg

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow