D800 does Death Valley NP

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
harshaj1
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 does Death Valley NP
In reply to lukep, Mar 4, 2013

lukep wrote:

WOW - love the photos. Can you share how you did the first photo? is that just one single shot? basically how did you get the stars and milky way in there so bright. I just finished some night shots in the desert but kept the iso lower than you--maybe thats part of the difference. Also was there a moon in the sky at the time?

the badwater shot is perfect also

i want to head out there around spring break with the kids, your shots are good motivation

This is a single shot and not a composite image. I use my 16-35 at F4 at 19mm. I think the zoom ring moved for some reason. My intention was to shoot at 16mm. ISO was 6400 with long exposure NR on so camera take another shot for 30sec with the mirror down. I set the focus manually at infinity. The most difficult part was to get the composition correct. I did many test shots before finalizing on the shot. Hope this helps.

This is a small blog I wrote if you are interested.

http://harshajphotos.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/photographing-the-milky-way-galaxy/

Harsha

harshaj1's gear list:harshaj1's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow