Is it me or is digital autofocus just problematic?

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris 1
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Is it me or is digital autofocus just problematic?
Mar 3, 2013

Ok I've read the forum posts on the auto focusing issues, background focus, contrast seeking auto focus, but back in the day, with my AE1, with manual focus I focused quickly accurately, restricted to 24 pics per roll, ya learned quickly not to screw up.

But with this here 5N, great pics when in focus but I can't really depend on it.. it can do amazing things, low light pics at iso6400, here a couple at 3200! Crazy stuff.. and it's definetly not a brick like a D7000 requiring major lugging around, but if I'm counting on the accuracy of the auto-focus to get the pic in question, either my technique needs work or I dont know what.

Take a look at these two pictures taken within seconds of each other.

We're not talking action shots and scampering toddlers here!  Nice shot of the couple in the background but I kinda wanted the guy in the middle.  

What the heck did I do wrong or what can I do better?

PS. at Monet Cafe in Boca Raton FL, one of my favorite restaurants!

Chris 1's gear list:Chris 1's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 J1 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow