Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
DreamsAreDust
Regular MemberPosts: 418
Like?
Re: Welfare fraud????? Nawww ..... it's just doesn't happen
In reply to Bill Randall, Mar 3, 2013

Bill Randall wrote:

DreamsAreDust wrote:

The trouble with welfare fraud is not the fraud part so much as the perception of it and the lengths the govt. goes to to catch it.

There was a story back in Oz - Centrelink spent $250 000 to track down and collect evidence and catch a surfer joe dole cheat.. and what had he cheated?? $15 500.. (1 year dole)

They could have just ignored him for 10 fuccking years and STILL the govt. would've been better off $$ wise.

I cannot agree. Ignoring wrong doing encourages other to do wrong doing. For example, when I was a young boy stores would never say a word to shop lifters. In the event they got caught by the police, stores would not prosecute. In America today, stores are losing millions of dollars due to shoplifting. Yes, now they approach shoplifters and if appropriate the will have them arrested.

Oh, I agree.. wrong is wrong.. but the greater wrong is to waste $250 000 of taxpayer money over this.

How did it even get to that much? Even a good private detective will cost no more than 10 grand to do the same job..

Seriously - if it cost a shop $10 000 to prosecute a shoplifter who stole a $10 item.. who would bother?

-- hide signature --

Don't bother with dreams, reality turns them into dust..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow