Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,810
Like?
Re: Read Me: Major discovery for reducing confirmed range
In reply to lovEU, Mar 3, 2013

lovEU wrote:

hi, some random questions / thoughts came into my mind having read this thread:

• Maybe some more testing should be done regarding Kaj E's objection "Why the middle of the range?"
  • Do you eventually have a chance to discuss your method with some guys from Nikon? I guess it would be interesting to get to know what the ones who are doing AF calibration at service centers think about your method.
  • Did you receive any feedback from Marianne Oelund so far? (not within this tread, obviously)
  • Looking at some other AF related threads it looks like one has to do such calibration for different lighting conditions.

Achtually, your method reminds me a bit of a philosopher's stone but I'm not sure how reliable it really can be.

Forgot to say: thanks for sharing.

The questions about DOF and middle-of-the-range were asked/addressed in the posts above in this thread. Using DotTune on a 2-D target has the same implications as using any other tuning method with a 2-D target. If more DOF precision is desired then a 3-D target like LensAlign is suggested. I suppose one could tune to a 2-D target and then try to guess an off-center midpoint adjustment to alter the DOF balance but the relationship between tune adjustment and DOF may vary by distance/situation.

Nikon doesn't appear to want to talk to any of their customers about anything these days

Marianne participated in the original thread and came up with a nice workaround for the +/- 20 tune range case. I don't know if she's tried DotTune herself.

As for reliability, the best way to gauge is to give it a try. Nearly everyone on the original thread reported good results, with many others telling me that DotTune produced results equal to Focal.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow