Is the SX50 only good for photographing birds in trees?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,727Gear list
Like?
Re: I went out and bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In reply to lkk324, Mar 3, 2013

lkk324 wrote:

WHy is it that you can't us the custom colors in the digital zoom or Raw? Because in RAW they figure you are going to tweak it anyway? Has anyone even used the digital zoom? I can't see where it will be needed

Lisa,

You can use custom colors with the digital zoom, just not with raw. And you're right, the features that are not allowed in-camera with raw are because " you are going to tweak it anyway" .

Yes, many of us use the digital zoom, but more so its 1.5 and 2.0 TC components that are set from within the digital zoom menu. The digital zoom itself works after you pass 1200mm only and goes up to 4800mm. The two TCs work anywhere within the zoom range (e.g. 900mm with the 1.5TC becomes 1350mm).

Whether you use it or not is going to be up to your own preferences. Some here say it is better to use only the optical zoom and crop if you need more reach. As you may have read in my review, my detailed tests and findings show that not to always be true. Canon has incorporated very sophisticated techniques in camera for resizing and sharpening the digital zoom images. Up to about 2400mm, people who are good at post can do as well or better by cropping and processing the optical image. But after 2400mm and especially past 3600mm to 4800mm, although results only go from usable to very sketchy, Canon's in-camera digital process beats do it yourself post processing the majority of the time. Digital zoom is a tool that's available right in the package. It has surprised me in how useful it can be. It may surprise you as well.

Ed

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow