70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,371Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?
In reply to meland, Mar 3, 2013

meland wrote:

MAC wrote:

Limburger wrote:

meland wrote:

MAC wrote:

and thread after thread with these will max out at 149...because too much time on trolls hands

in the end, the two mfg's know they haven't delivered what we really want long term, it is just another iteration positioned to sell enough to make enough until the next iteration to make more and more.

the mfg's know they are pocketing more and more of the dollars earned in photography via gear iterations versus true innovations

- giant sucking sound to the big two in the past, but the sony's and fuji's and oly's can help us out of the big two oligopoly

It's interesting that some people do really seem to think that manufacturers (in this case Canon and Nikon) are only interested in profit and ripping people off. And that 'gear iterations' apparently have little value compared with 'true innovations'. What exactly are 'true innovations'? Does something have to be completely new, as opposed to having an incremental improvement to have value? I'd argue that for something where reliability is important, e.g. cameras, cars, etc., an unproven innovation is not worth much at all. Now it could be different if you are talking about something like, say, F1 motor racing where evolution has reached a limit whereby most cars would perform almost identically unless radical innovations are made (some would say to circumvent the 'rules') that enable small (often very small) steps forward. However these are often at the expense of reliability and while that might be acceptable in the rarefied environment of F1 where engines often have a life of only a few thousand miles, or a couple of races, it sure as hell wouldn't be in a road car where life expectancy has to be in hundreds of thousands and for many years. Or in a camera.

But I'd agree that it is dangerous to have only two manufacturers seriously manufacturing DSLRs. Much as Canon and Nikon might think of the other as deadly competitors, there is actually a mutual respect and a knowledge that without the other there is not going to be a healthy market situation. Certainly Canon's attitude (I can't speak for Nikon's) is that Nikon's failure would be the last thing they would want. However I'm not sure Sony, Fuji or Olympus as quoted above can really help the DSLR position, although they might have an impact on the market via different formats.

I agree.

Companies look for future existence of the organisation. Putting products on the market for max. profit isn't always the best to do if you want buyers to come back. The real profit (maxing the profit) is in the organisation itself concerning manufacturing proces, procuring etc. since a certain technology with a certain quality will cost a certain amount of money.

my impression is: their profits are in their glass sales.

so therefore, for example, they tell customers the days of 1.3 are over and maybe even higher end 1.6 after a few more releases. Why do they do this? To sell bigger glass versus the built in like TC within the body. Let's be honest - they grind their teeth on each release and cripple some feature just so they can sell it the next time

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

But you are assuming that by deleting 1.3x and higher end 1.6x cameras they will sell more longer focal length lenses. If such lenses were cheaper, or if consumers' budgets were totally elastic I might agree with this, but since they are not Canon might simply find that their customers simply switch to some less expensive hobby and they end up selling a lot less.

you make a good point

Actually, I don't get their 6d intro

my 60d is only 1.5 stops hi iso from 6d. They certainly can tweak to get ti 1 stop away with 70d and 7dII -- and then as you said - sell as much or more

the $ problem with the 6d is one must spend very large dollars on glass to experience the improvements over crop system solution. If a consumer is going to do this, just get the 5d3 imo

As far as 'crippling features' well, yes of course they do. It's product positioning. You could of course have every conceivable feature in just one model but then almost nobody would be able to afford it. But if you are going to have a range of models at different price levels to appeal to different users then inevitably most of them are going to have some features left off.

film bodies equilibrated at $1500

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow