Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul Pasco
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax's focus is Japan
In reply to marike6, Mar 3, 2013

marike6 wrote:

flektogon wrote:

While Pentax MX-1 is as good camera as for example Panasonic LX-7, or Olympus ZX-2, or Canon G-15, or …, there is nothing unique about it, why any, brand-wise unbiased potential customer would prefer it.

Retro styling, solid brass goodness.

The unique features of the MX-1 are the retro styling with top and bottom brass plates, fast max aperture lens at both wide and telephoto ends, and the tilt-able LCD.

The tilt LCD is a feature only the more expensive XZ-2 and somewhat larger P7700 have. With the G15, Canon removed the articulated LCD, a move that didn't make too many G series fans happy at all.

And it's all about that fantastic lens. Only the XZ-2 has a similar lens with good fastness at both ends (the LX7 lens only goes to 90mm, and the G15 lens is 140mm, but f2.8). Having owned the XZ-1, which has a similar lens (some say identical), it's one of the most outstanding lenses over in a compact, as sharp as any I've ever used.

I owned a black MX SLR for 20 years, with several beautiful "M" lenses, so this camera immediately got my attention. The only thing stopping me from getting one is need; I really don't need it per se but I would like to have one. My V1 with 10mm handles my compact camera needs for now but I applaud Pentax's retro effort.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow