70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 4,031
Like?
Re: 70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?
In reply to MAC, Mar 3, 2013

MAC wrote:

and thread after thread with these will max out at 149...because too much time on trolls hands

in the end, the two mfg's know they haven't delivered what we really want long term, it is just another iteration positioned to sell enough to make enough until the next iteration to make more and more.

the mfg's know they are pocketing more and more of the dollars earned in photography via gear iterations versus true innovations

- giant sucking sound to the big two in the past, but the sony's and fuji's and oly's can help us out of the big two oligopoly

It's interesting that some people do really seem to think that manufacturers (in this case Canon and Nikon) are only interested in profit and ripping people off. And that 'gear iterations' apparently have little value compared with 'true innovations'. What exactly are 'true innovations'? Does something have to be completely new, as opposed to having an incremental improvement to have value? I'd argue that for something where reliability is important, e.g. cameras, cars, etc., an unproven innovation is not worth much at all. Now it could be different if you are talking about something like, say, F1 motor racing where evolution has reached a limit whereby most cars would perform almost identically unless radical innovations are made (some would say to circumvent the 'rules') that enable small (often very small) steps forward. However these are often at the expense of reliability and while that might be acceptable in the rarefied environment of F1 where engines often have a life of only a few thousand miles, or a couple of races, it sure as hell wouldn't be in a road car where life expectancy has to be in hundreds of thousands and for many years. Or in a camera.

But I'd agree that it is dangerous to have only two manufacturers seriously manufacturing DSLRs. Much as Canon and Nikon might think of the other as deadly competitors, there is actually a mutual respect and a knowledge that without the other there is not going to be a healthy market situation. Certainly Canon's attitude (I can't speak for Nikon's) is that Nikon's failure would be the last thing they would want. However I'm not sure Sony, Fuji or Olympus as quoted above can really help the DSLR position, although they might have an impact on the market via different formats.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow