Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug_PS
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 35mm F/1.4: My Experience from recent test
In reply to Timbukto, Mar 3, 2013

Timbukto wrote:

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

In the two pictures of the woman, I think that the focus is VERY slightly off (hard to get it right with such a thin DOF and low-light). It's possibly backfocussing slightly..

I think it is front focusing based on earrings, scarf, teeth. Not a big deal, my Canon EF primes front focus without MFA dialed in.

Yes, the lens was front focusing rather strongly at zero micro-adjust.  I tried to "push it backwards" a bit via micro-adjust (I think I settled on +4 adjustment).   However, with only my iPad mini to use on the trip....it was next to impossible to nail the micro-adjustment just right.  It probably needed to be pushed back a bit more.  By comparison, my 135 2.0L needed +11 and it's very sharp at that setting.

I think I can blame the sharpness problems with the Sigma on me....I'm sure the lens would show much sharper if properly micro-adjusted (and shot in Raw).

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow