70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 3,996Gear list
Like?
Re: No matter how they are made...
In reply to nedelcho, Mar 3, 2013

nedelcho wrote:

No matter how they are made (plastic or metal), 7D and D300s are marvelous cameras. Not at all like D7000 which is lower cost for a reason. I don't know why, but quality control became lower in Nikon in recent models and higher in Canon. D300s and 7D are build like a tanks and they fail very rarely. I work in a shop for photo equipment and you wouldn't believe how many D7000 bodies customers are bringing for service. Stuck shutter button, LCD problems, problems with autofocus not working at all or such a vast front/back focus with all their lenses, that in camera MFA can't help (do you believe 18-105VR that need -15 MFA to focus properly). Once we tested 3 samples of 35mm f/1.8G on one customer's nikon body and all of them had focus issue (we tested on other body as well) and 50mm f/1.4G or 85/1.8G didn't have problems at all on his body. Recent trend is problems with D5100, we have 3 bodies in a row that had stuck mirror. Previous generation of nikon cameras is very different, it was better in therms of quality control. No problems at all with D300s and D700. We also rent cameras and D300s/D700 have not been serviced once, in the 3 or 4 years we rent them.

Everyone think that current Canon cameras are overpriced. I think not. At the moment Canon have better quality control and this cost money. Their bodies are more expensive for a reason (for example, look at lens rentals blog posts). Nikon are very aggressive with pricing and features and everyone think they are the best, but in practical use it is not so and fanboys will not admit it. The camera does not only need the best features, but has to be reliable and get the picture no matter what. Unfortunately current nikon generation is not as good build as canon's.

My response is to bobn2, not to Wyville (the clear the confusion).

-- hide signature --

It's a general problem most companies sooner or later have to deal with. Recently there was VW (in Europe known as a reliable carmaker) with all kinds of problems (engines,windows falling into the door etc.). Some years before there was MB with the C having all kinds electronic problems and the E with the all known rusty trunks.

QA goes up and down all the time no matter what quality system you got. Plus the development times have decrease, this goes for basicly every product. In the 60's you could get say a Leica RF and were done for the next 15 or even 25 years to come. Same with the old Volvo's (200 series) one design that kept going for 20 years or so. Now Volvo is putting a new model on the market every 7 years or so.

A sign of the times, though I was surprized about the size of the Q problems at Nikon.Particularly in the consumer level market you need to deliver the goods, those are future semi pro or even pro gear buyers.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow