bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 28,140
Like?
Re: One comment about plastics
In reply to Limburger, Mar 3, 2013

Limburger wrote:

Wyville wrote:

elfroggio wrote:

Somehow, people are implying that plastics are bad and metals are good. Not always, plastics can be manufactured to higher precision than metals and plastics withstand much wider temperature ranges without deformation than many metals.

In the 60s, that is the 1960s, and the 70s plastics were always low quality. Now, in many cases plastics are as strong and reliable as many metals. Plastics are fantastic in small size, cars or truck sizes that's another story.

Indeed. I too had a natural aversion for plastic, despite knowing that plastics were perfectly capable of doing the job. These days I don't care anymore. I know that if Canon produces a camera at a certain segment level, that it will live up to expectations.

For me my main concern is that the camera feels solid, like a brick. I couldn't live with my D80 and buying the 7D was a real relief. Suddenly I was perfectly confident in my camera and didn't mind it being bumped. Makes going out and shooting a lot more relaxing!

Same here.

It's like overtaking on the highway with a capable car/engine, you know the power is there when needed.

Except in this case you don't 'know the power is there'. With a car there will be a set of figures that tell you the power and torque that the engine produces. Canon have produced no figures that indicate that the 7D is more robust than a D80, all you are going on is an impression gained from their marketing material.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow