Senior MemberPosts: 4,505
Like?
Re: nozzle check Epson 3880
In reply to AusPic, Mar 3, 2013

AusPic wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

Danny Michael wrote:

I think the big question is, why are you doing nozzle checks? Shouldn't need to do that unless you suspect a clogged nozzle, which is rare on this printer.

If you live in a desert area where the humidity can go down to 8% you need to pay attention and avoid clogged nozzles. On the other hand I have a friend in San Francisco who printed without having to deal with a nozzle check after storing the printer for five years!

-- hide signature --

Sure. Miliage may vary when it comes to individual printers and humidity levels.

Printing without a previous nozzle check which use an almost unmeasurable amount of ink, so I don't understand why anyone would be against running one, specially when shoosing high quality will very likely not show you that you indeed have a few nozzles NOT firing. Only the Nozzle check will do that. Sometimes the missfiring nozzles will clear themselves out after several prints but they may not.

But if you do not want to run them, that is your choice, just I would not recommend doing so.

It is the same as not ever getting a medical check up just becuase you feel fine.

LAst night I did my 15 printers, reusing the same sheet of paper for each 4 nozzle checks. ALl were perfect except for one of my R1900s. Had I simply ran a print on $7 a sheet paper, I would have been out $7. I am using OCP inks on that printer and it is about 3 cents per ml so the cleaning cycle that I had to run to get everything back to normal must have cost me about 3 cents. Much better than $7.

Joe

Joe,

It PAINS me to argue with 'the man, Mr. Printer" BUT..

On advice from you and others, when new I had to put my 3880 in hibernation whilst I was doing renovations, That took from June 2012 to end January 2013. In that time I did the same routine EVERY time. Print nozzle check from the printer screen.....nothing else!

Printer was not connected to my computer so no option but to use the printer screen I did a nozzle check once a week. Each one on a different end on an A4 sheet of Laser jet paper I use ( dated and kept for the record just in casa!)

New carts installed at the shop I purchased from and they checked there at the shop( BEFORE I TOOK IT ALL THE WAY BACK TO MY FARM IN THE BUSH) that the machine was 100% operational, so the lines were loaded and they ran a nozzle check. Thus when unpacked (again) and powered up at home carts barely registered any usage, and Maint. tank 98%

From the day it arrived here in June till January the only operation the printer did was nozzle checks.

IF nozzle check 'routine' and it is a routine, uses miniscule amounts of ink, how did my waste tank go from 98% down to 52% and my colour carts all register around 25%. MK 20-25%

and PK about 85%..........in that time I had a single skip in 1 square, so I ran 4x nozzle check one after the other till it printed right.

If I get what you have just said, you purchased it and installed inks and then put it into hiatus till you once again set it up to print. The initial install of ink will use up about 30 or more % of the inks just to prime the lines and head dampers, it will dump a lot of ink into the M. Tank. This happens on ALL these printers with stationary ink carts. The problems is the the true initial usage of inks is NOT immediately reported or displayed by the LCD or the printer driver. EPSON's sneaky way, so we do not have a heart attack from the start. Later on as you print here and there, even nozzle checks, the true ink levels and MT usage is revealed. That's whe we are shocked at the drop. From now on you will be seeing true ink level readings.

Yes it is a dirty trick. Give you an example, Epson's biggest BOMB / LEMON of a printer, the 4900 will use almost a complete set of starter 110ml carts to prime and to print the few initial test prints and alignments needed to get the printer going. Almost immediately you will need to buy a brand new set at about $95 x 12 carts.

I just accepted the usage as 'normal' as I have nothing to benchmark against.

A chance remark by the Salesperson (a printmaker and a long time Epson user) lead to a lengthy debate, that sent me off enquiring of other Professionals using the 3880, ALL said the same thing. They used to do it but gave it away when they worked out that it used NEARLY as much as a regular clean.

All I can tell you is a nozzle check ONLY uses the ink that it needs to create the print we call the Nozzle check. I have no idea where ANY extra ink could or would possibly be used. The ONLY way waste is ever generated unless your carts are leaking into the system by gravity as in during transport, or the printer is tilted, is through printing lots of borderless and or runing cleaning cycles. Both processes do produce waste ink. Borderless from the overspray and cleaning cycles directly dumps ink in the pads through the heads.

Regular printing does not produce any waste ink from the direct printing process itself.

There is a some ink being wiped off the underside of the head surface by the wiper blade about every 6-8 passes but that's it.

I could run a thousand consecutive nozzle checks without my mantenance tank reading even budging.

I called Epson and like you they said it used very little but got really vague on just how much a very little is.This left me in no-mans land, who is right and who is wrong, I can SEE that I have used a goodly part of the carts and I know how and where it was, and was not used.

So here is where I leave this point I will not say anything again on this subject, I don't - not any more, If I get a block, it will show, $4+ on a sheet of very good paper is a lot cheaper than the volumes of OEM ink it was chewing through.

Well I am using OCP K3 inks at about 3 pennies per ML per color so if I need to run a cleaning cycle, it's not a problem. The 3800 is so good at not getting clogs that is not really even an issue.

Take care

Joe

With Respect,

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow