Finally Purchasing - help me decide

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hoogineer
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Re: Finally Purchasing - help me decide
In reply to bchamble, Mar 3, 2013

bchamble wrote:

Thanks for your input on the Sigma 30 Hoogineer.

I ended up purchasing the T4i kit with the 18-135 STM as well as getting the 55-250IS, and 40mm STM pancake. A little over my budget, but it was a good deal at B&H. I got the STM lenses as i'm planning on doing do some video as well. I even still have my T1i with 18-55IS kit lens and the 50mm 1.4.

I've never had much luck with the 50mm 1.4 (either too long indoors or too slow AF chasing the kids) and may look to sell it in the future and pickup the S30 1.4 or a 430 EX speedlight as none of my new gear is particularly fast.

Well, I don't think you went wrong with what you purchased.

• People really seem to like that the T4i has cross-type AF.
  • The 18-135 STM should be superior for video capture.
  • The 40mm should be a lot better than the 50mm for indoor captures, although you're losing two stops.  I haven't read anything but good things about the IQ.
  • I think the 55-250mm is a terrific value for casual telephotography.  You're not going to do an amazing job of capturing birds in flight -- not with AF anyway -- but you can get some nice stills.  I have a few captures in my album on here that demonstrate its pairing with a T3i.

Nothing is going to prohibit you from adding on something else in the future, should you find the 40mm too long for indoor use.  My guess is it will still be an improvement on the kit and the wider aperture will be more helpful than the 50mm f/1.4.  As long as you have adequate lighting -- say early afternoon daylight through windows -- f/2.8 should serve you just fine.

Yeah, unless you're a portrait photographer, I really feel like the 50mm is in no-man's land on a crop. I toyed with getting the 50mm f/1.8 for a long time, but, based on that focal length on the kit lens, I just didn't think it was going to work for my shooting style.  I resisted and think I made the right investment.  I'm sure the Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM is a nice option, too, but, for me, it wasn't worth spending an extra $150-$200 (and would've been a tougher sell to my wife!).

Please report back with some indoor shots on the 40mm so we know how you did!

Hoogineer's gear list:Hoogineer's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow