Chromasoft comparison of Adobe Camera Raw 7.4RC, 7.1, Capture One 7.1, SilkyPix, and Accuraw

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mutatron
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Chromasoft comparison of Adobe Camera Raw 7.4RC, 7.1, Capture One 7.1, SilkyPix, and Accuraw
Mar 3, 2013

http://chromasoft.blogspot.de/2013/03/lightroom-44rc-and-capture-one-versus-x.html

To me it looks like SilkyPix still wins in terms of quality of conversion.

I've been trying Capture One on my 13" MacBook Pro, since it doesn't work on my old 32-bit Vista machine. It's kind of slow and cantankerous, not much fun to use even though I upgraded from 2 megs of ram to 4. It seemed like a steep learning curve for the software, but maybe that was because it's so slow. After using it for a while Capture One starts to freak out when a new pic is loaded, but it will come to its senses after applying a transform.

So then I got the Lightroom 7.4RC free download, and have been trying that out. It's so much faster, and it runs on my old PC as well as my MacBook, so that's a plus. It's much more of a pleasure to use. A task that had taken me two weeks to complete in Capture One took me two days in Lightroom, and that's including time to do it on both my Mac and my PC.

The main thing I miss from Capture One is the color wheel adjustment tool, where you can choose a range of colors and then adjust the HLS values. This came in handy for pics at a golfing range, where subjects were lit by horrible CFLs with the range in waning natural light. Just by selecting a range of greens and blues I was able to set the white balance correctly for the CFL lighting, and then tone down the now intense blues and green of the range. Lightroom's color adjustment is much clunkier and less flexible.

Lightroom also doesn't have layers like Capture One, which is annoying, but neither gives the complete artistic flexibility of something like Photoshop or Gimp. If I want to mask or delete elements from my photo I still have to have an image editor like that. So maybe I should just give up on Lightroom and Capture One, and use SilkyPix to convert the RAFs, and then use an image editor to complete.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness! I was just going to post the review with a short comment.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow