Oly E-Pm1 dissapointment

Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,788Gear list
Like?
I can't imagine a worse way to learn.......
In reply to Chatokun, Mar 3, 2013

Chatokun wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Please understand, respectfully that u 4/3 cameras are designed for amature photographers-not beginers. You have to understand things like exposure, effect of backlighting and exposure compensation if you are going to take the camera off i_Auto.

It is obvious form the above that you do not understand those things.

So, leave the camera on i-Auto or select a scene (e.g. Beach/Snow) or dedicate yourself to learning about basic photography.

Take a class, read a book, etc.

If you don't want to take a class, a good place to start is Kodak's How to take Better Photographs.

TEdolph

In addition to above, you can learn a lot just by experimenting. It won't help you with composure or anything, but go around taking a bunch of shots at different settings. Use different subjects change the settings a lot on each one. If you have a good laptop, maybe even bring it with you so can see how they look outside the camera also.

You can learn everything you need to know (basic)  about exposure in 1/2 hour one evening with a good photography book.

Why spend days, weeks, months learning by trial and error?

I assume the E-PM1 has some auto bracketing (the EPL-1 has it after all), so you may want to turn that on to see some exposure differences more easily. It also has WB bracketing and ISO bracketing, but I've never really played with those.

He doen't understand basic things like under and over exposure.

He dialed in EV compensation in the wrong direction!

Definitely play around with your sharpness, saturation, and noise reduction settings if you plan to shoot only from jpeg, or primarily want to do so. As TEdolph mentions, these cameras are designed to give you greater control. Greater control is useless if you don't know what all that control does

I wouldn't play around with anything.  Some of those adjustments are inter-related and things can start to get complicated quickly.

It is better to do some reading and understand what each them do and then start experimenting.

This reminds me of people who used to try to learn how to use color filters on B&W film by trial and error.  If you didn't understand complementary colors and how reversal film worked it was almost impossible.

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow