Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,694Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm on record as believing ...
In reply to oklaphotog, Mar 3, 2013

oklaphotog wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

If I were in dreamland, I would ecstatic to see an E1 with modern electronics and a faster shutter cycle speed. I don't even need it to be smaller. It is already smaller than the E3/E5.

I would agree, the E-1 was the perfect size.

However, each small fast zoom with native focus released by Panny diminishes that potential market.

Maybe for some, but the reality is the fast panny zooms are mediocre at best, especially compared to the SHG glass. The HG ZD's are better too. Not to mention anyone who wants to track moving objects worth a hoot will want ZD's and PDAF.

The problem with SHG lenses is they are large and heavy enough to be compared directly with FF lenses. This will not impress most of the m4/3rds market.

Only if you're talking the the 14-35 and 35-100. Once you get into ultra tele land, things change by quite a bit. The 300/2.8 ZD is far smaller than a 600/4 FF lens. Move down to the 7-14,12-60, and 50-200 and you come up with a smaller kit overall compared to FF and still better glass.

However, it will be a happy solution for those currently left with the E5 as the best camera body available. In terms of comparable camera performance, it really is ancient now. Even their weak AA "solution" has been surpassed.

This is true, but the OMD's sensor is breathing down the neck of the 5D2 performance wise which is more than adequate for most everyone.

It certainly isn't "breathing down the neck" of the K-5/D7000 Sony sensor. It's not bad, but there's a difference there.  But it's definitively a big jump from where they were with the E-5/E-30/E-620.

If and E-7 comes with a sensor that performs as well or better than the OMD, it will be one of the most versatile kits around when mated to all the great ZD lenses. Many of us that are FF shooters that have a full rounded kit from ultra wide out to ultra tele would love to be able to have the space savings you get with 4/3, as well as the better optics. I would much rather carry a 150/2 and 300/2.8 vs. a 300/2.8 and 600/4 on FF. Many FF shooters who don't shoot extremely wide or long lenses have already moved to an OMD because of the size reduction, now that the IQ is there.

Only really good photographers can get good images from an E5

Only really good photographers can get good images from any system.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow