Started Mar 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cobber55
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
V1+FT1 combo for Airshows
Mar 3, 2013

One of the things that attracted me to the V1 was the FT1 mount adaptor. This opened the possibilty of using my 18-200mm or 70-300mm AF-S lenses at airshows. Yesterday we went to the Avalon Airshow so I had an opportunity to test this.

We arrived early and had a front row position, which is always good. It was a bright sunny day with a cross wind.

I first tried the Nikon V1 with the AF-S 70-300mm VR. Very good images but the 70mm end which translates into about 189mm DX equivilent was generally too long for closer shots for where we were.

I then tried the Nikon V1 with my 18-200mm VR. This gave me up to 540mm in DX land. I found this lens gave the best results for getting shots of the aircraft as they prepared to take off, land and when straight in front of us on the runway.

Here are a couple of examples.

P-40 Kittyhawk. Taken with V1, FT1 mount and 18-200mm VR

The native 30-110mm is no slouch either and on its own would have probably been fine for the event but would have required much more cropping than I needed to do with the 18-200mm.

I found the V1 performed well with very good to excellent AF. The image review in the EVF post shot could be a real frustration but I used continuous shooting mode to partly overcome this. The Continuous mode performed brilliantly with the only limitation being my ability to track the aircraft in flight.

The relative small size of the V1, even with the FT1 and 18-200mm fitted meant it was a pleasure to use all day. I had a fully charged battery and took almost 600 images and about 30 minutes of video. I was also checking out results during the day. I had 10% battery at the end of the day so a second battery would be a reassuring addition but not absolutely essential.

I think the V1 and FT1 makes for very usable airshow kit with some limitations. I would like to see an option to turn off the image review after a shot is taken.

Cobber55's gear list:Cobber55's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony FE 28-70mm Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow