Olympus E-7 follow up, time to market and other choices

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
agogo
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
That's why I wonder whether it will not be a traditional DSLR
In reply to Marty4650, Mar 2, 2013

Marty4650 wrote:

The potential market for an E7 is minuscule. Even smaller than the market for the E5 was.

If Olympus devotes any effort to creating a new 4/3 flagship camera, then it will only appeal to the remaining diehard 4/3 users. In other words, people like me. And our numbers are dwindling every day that Olympus keeps postponing and dragging their feet on this.

That's why I wonder if Oly will bring something different to the table this time, not just a DSLR.

It will have to entice either m43 and/or other system users (as well as current 4/3), or else how could they justify it?

So how could Oly do this? What are its strengths and alternatives to other systems? (Sony could be influencing here now too maybe?)

I guess the most obvious is compactness of system (yes I know the SHG lenses are just as heavy as FF, yada yada..but the 12-60 and 50-200 are not!). If they just build another DSLR no one would bother except some of us 4/3rds users.

So any ideas as to what they could do? We can't expect a 4/3 sensor to ever be quite as good as APS-C and certainly not FF - we all know this (given equal sensor technology), so what can that smaller sensor give us? What m43 tech can trickle up into the flagship?

My ideas:

If the CAF was improved and more FPS, they could have a killer compact wildlife system.

I wonder whether it will indeed be a mirrorless camera with that new revolutionary EVF that they hinted at a while ago?

So a smaller, very rugged mirrorless with new, faster higher res EVF, better CAF with more FPS, and all the other pluses that we have traditionally received from Oly. It will also have to be modular (with grip). It will also have to be competitively priced.

I think the current sensor res/performance of the OMD would be fine for most.

Any thoughts?

Peace.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow