Flat view
surrephoto
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Continuation of my Nikon D4 assymetrical AF saga
Mar 2, 2013

This was part 1:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50139847

From there, my D4 took a trip to Singapore & Malaysian service centers. As expected both service centers failed to resolve the problem, and I wrote an e-mail to Mr Kimura Makoto of Nikon Corp. He doesn't explicitly state his e-mail address on Nikon website, but I tried a number of combinations and managed to get him. I myself was surprised when I received a call from Nikon Singapore.

I had made a promise to service manager Jonathan, a rather nice chap, at Nikon Singapore that I would no longer bother him about this issue, since it doesn't take too much to understand the situation is not in the best of his interest since 1. The set was not purchased in Singapore & 2. It has become a fact to me that Nikon does not offer service centers the same procedure/software/tools to fix the asymmetrical AF problem for the D4 as compared to the D800. But since I'm considered to be in the "jurisdiction" geographically, he was responsible to inform me about my options from this point.

He told me that the "stakeholders" have decided that I should send my D4 to Hong Kong for a check, and that there were Japanese technicians in Hong Kong since Hong Kong is the top of the hierarchy beyond Nikon Japan in asia. He also offered to recall a recent S/N D4 from the press and loan it to me till they were done with it. And so far unprecedented, he was optimistic about the 2-week window that I demand for my set to be flown there and back.

There was a recent airfare promo from Singapore - Osaka and I have purchased a return ticket for 2 (at only USD 550) so I've mentally prepared myself to return to Yurakucho HQ start of next month, and hopefully the sakura bloom coincides this year.

What are your opinions dear friends? To me there is no real fix or solution except a 1-for-1 exchange with Nikon Malaysia. To send to HK or not?

Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow