EC-14 (1,4x teleconverter) - Please help me out!

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
skysurfer5
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
Re: EC-14 (1,4x teleconverter) - Please help me out!
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Mar 2, 2013

Roel…

I mount the 50-200 MkI + TC-14 combo on my E-5 quite often.  Previously, it saw lots of use on my E-1.  Overall, I am very happy with this combination.  It's sharper and focuses faster than my son-in-law's 70-300.

This combo can hunt at maximum zoom (283 mm) if it misses focus on its first attempt, especially in low light.  The E-5 is much improved over the E-1 in this regard, though with both cameras I have found that backing off the zoom to about 270 mm improves things a lot.  I rarely attempt birds in flight, so this is less of an issue for me than it would be for some people.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I spent a few hours at the local zoo.  My favorite inmates to photograph are the two macaws:  a Blue-and-Yellow and a Military.  I dug through my photos to find some examples shot at maximum zoom with the 50-200 + TC-14 combo.  Following are four full-size OOC jpegs from my E-5.  The first was shot wide open (f/4.9), the second at f/6.3, and the last two at f/8.0.  All were shot handheld, IS on, with additional light provided by the FL-36 in FP mode.

Fred

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?' …Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
WOWNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow