Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jrs91
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Farewell, Olympus :(
Mar 2, 2013

This is a sad day for me. I'm ebaying all my Olympus gear and will be left without a dSLR.

In the short-term, I just needed the cash after having to spend thousands of dollars unexpectedly, but to be honest, I've been mulling the decision for a while, and for the next 6 months due to work and other things, it's hard to see how i'd get much use out of it anyway, so I'm sucking it up and taking my losses now.

I really really loved the E-System and consider it a shame that it never took off. I bought into it partly because of lower size/weight compared to full-frame and APS-C but most importantly, I felt the lenses were very well designed, incredibly sharp, and I loved the fact that all HG and SHGs were all environmentally sealed because I tend to vacation in places with crappy conditions and don't like screwing around with protective gear for my camera. I felt very safe using the E-3 in the rain etc. At the time, CaNikon had no real answer to that outside of their top of the line professional bodies that cost upwards of 10k. Ditto for the lenses. On Canon, only the L glass is sealed. On Nikon, they don't even tell you which lenses are sealed in their product literature.

The E-3 was a great camera; built like a tank, with great sealing, and just an overall pleasure to use. I STILL believe that Olympus glass is unmatched. The Zuiko lenses are simply fantastic.

The truth is that I could continue to go on using my existing gear, assuming I didn't need the money right now, but the real problem as I see it is that it would be very hard for me to justify buying more lenses for a dying system.

Olympus may release an E-7, and I really hope e-system users get that OM-D sensor and 5-axis IS becauseĀ it would be a shame for all that nice glass to go to waste.

As for me, I've been checking out the D800 and 5D Mark III, as well as the 7D on the Canon side. I'll probably buy the L glass this year, and a cheaper body, and wait for the upgrade to the Mark III that will hopefully have closed to d800 res or maybe a 6D. Hard to say because I do enjoy landscape photography and the specs on the D800 make it almost a medium format camera. Then again, the Canons have a chunkier grip that feels much better in my hands, so I really have no idea what I'm going to do.

So, good luck guys. Hope you get your E-7!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
carizi MOD
EditNew
carizi MOD
carizi MOD
(unknown member)
carizi MOD
skeys MOD
carizi MOD
skeys MOD
carizi MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
carizi MOD
skeys MOD
carizi MOD
mpeman MOD
carizi MOD
mpeman MOD
carizi MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow