A list of good/bad MFT lens for new owner?

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,378Gear list
Like?
Re: A list of good/bad MFT lens for new owner?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 2, 2013

This is a difficult question. It depends so much on focal length preferences, the rendition a lens gives vs absolute sharpness, etc. etc.. Even the CA problems are sort of not important if a person shoots a lot of B&W ...some lenses have more variance in things that affect image quality, than others that are the same from the same manufacturer...one of my favorite references is www.lensrentals.com, since they test many samples of the same lens...and give a "real world" sort of feel to their reviews (along with technical specs)

I've heard very few complaints about the Pan/Leica 25mm, The Panny 20mm, the Oly (cheap but good) 40-150, The Panasonic 14-45 or most of the primes...of which a couple may not be stellar performers, but are very small, or have good color rendition. Most of the M43 lenses are actually pretty good, unless you get a clunker. Then there is the whole world of adaptable lenses, or even M43 native, like the Voightlanders, all of which are manual focus...except for adaptable and very good 4/3 lenses from Oly (which currently focus somewhat slowly on M4/3, but that may be changing with a new adapter or camera from Oly). So it gets complicated.

Myself I try and look around, Flickr groups, reviews, and photos I can see (realizing that the net is much different than print) just to see what people are doing or have done, with various lenses, before I think of buying them.

The thing I've learned from DPR forums, is that you'll probably get a differing opinions on 'any' topic..especially lenses.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow