How to get raw files to look the same as JPEGs produced by camera?

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Questions thread
nj473
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Re: How to get raw files to look the same as JPEGs produced by camera?
In reply to Jim Hess, Mar 2, 2013
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I think that's what I'll try and do, I can't get it looking right (like the JPEG anyway) yet but I guess I'll get closer the more I know about raw editing as I am still essentially a rookie right now.
I'll mention things I have found since writing this post though in case anyone else stumbles across this post who is having a similar issue:
I did some more reading and found that ViewNX 2 does not seem to have any noise reduction tools at all, and limited Active D lighting controls, so that's why my photos look different to the JPEGS from my camera.
But, interestingly I found that the program that does seem to convert raw to JPEGs to the same standard as in camera JPEGs is the FastStone Image Viewer program - I noticed that "batch converting" the raw files gives JPEGs that look the same as the dull, completely untouched raw files. However if I go through each image and "save as" a JPEG (and pick the quality etc), then I seem to be getting the same results produced by the camera (not 100% sure why). 
But anyway as I said, I'll be trying to edit raw files more anyway as I'm sure I'll learn a bit more by doing that.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow