Olympus E-7 follow up, time to market and other choices

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mr.NoFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 2,149Gear list
Like?
10 m43 Pro's in the forum Re: Err pros going m4/3 ?
In reply to CollBaxter, Mar 2, 2013

Mr.NoFlash wrote:

My opinion is: much Pro's did leave 4/3 or go m43 (!).

CollBaxter wrote:

Err pros going m4/3 ? I think not. The pros left to go to a totally different system.The proper pros shooting 4/3 are still around they just don't get involved on this site with the fish pate , fish paste that goes on here. I don't care how good the OMD is the m4/3 lenses except for a few newer primes are substandard.

Interresting question. I might anser to the other questions another time, but just ( thats also interresting for me ):

1. danieljcox

danieljcox wrote:

I've been moving slowly into the Micro 4/3's realm for about four years now and I absolutely love this category of cameras. So far all cameras and lenses are from Panasonic but I'm thrilled I have options from Olympus available as well. I'm currently shooting the new Lumix GH3 in Kenya and will be highlighting the results on my Blog in a couple of weeks. If you have an interest in reading my experiences with the Micro 4/3's system and other mirrorless systems you can read more on my Blog at Natural Exposures. In general, I'm confident in less than five years virtually all cameras will be a hybred or fully mirrorless of some sort. The benefits are just too positive for camera manufacturers to stick with the mirror that was invented 50+ years ago. Times change and the technology will make them change as well or go extinct.

By the way, I should have mention I've been shooting as a professional photographer for over thirty years and I'm very excited about using much smaller lighter cameras. That said, so far I haven't found any mirrorless cameras that can match the speed and ease of use for really fast moving subjects such as sports, flying birds, running cheetahs etc. It's close and I'm confident those capabilites are just around the corner but Nikon's D4 has not been matched so far in the mirrorless realm. Will know more after two weeks in Kenya with the Panasonic Lumix GH3. Stay tuned.

Daniel J. Cox
www.naturalexposures.com

2. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50563894

LPMILLER wrote:

...for what it's worth, I've been shooting for years, well over 40 of them, and making my living from photography for half of those years, if you wish to argue semantics then feel free, but I consider myself to be a professional photographer and artist. I've used equipment from Konica, Mamiya, Minolta, Hasselblad, Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Contax and probably a few others, and for those who say a pro can't shoot only 4/3rds, I now shoot exclusively with a pair of Olympus OM-D's and a selection of primes and a couple zooms and haven't found a situation yet that couldn't be handled by that setup...

...size DOES matter, but in an entirely different way than many of you seem to think, and my aging joints and muscles thank me for the lighter load every time I walk out the door to do another shoot...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

3. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50564213

Paul Amyes wrote:

I turned pro in 1983 shooting mainly editorial and pr work. To do that work I used a variety of different tools 5x4, 645, and 35mm. With digital I stopped using 5x4 but continue with medium format, 35mm, APS-C, & m4/3. No one format has it all and I've always used what is the appropriate tool for the job. If the client wants high resolution large prints then the MF kit comes out, if it is a multi media project for the web then m4/3. I have no brand alligence all I ask of my kit is that it is reliable and gets the job done. I'll also hire equipment when necessary because all of kit has to pay its way I can't afford the luxury of expensive items sitting around that may only get used for a couple of assignments a year.

4. ALatchin http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50564255

alatchin wrote:

From a business perspective, think about it like this. M43rds is a very capable system, with excellent prime lenses and a few competitive zooms. For many forms of paid photography it will do more than get the job done from interiors to products, weddings to portraits it has what it takes.

It doesnt have 36mp (21/24 is irrelevant compared to 16mp), where stitching isnt an option it cant compete with the super high res bodies or systems. It currently doesnt have fast and reliable CAF or long fast zooms for sport... However this doesnt mean you cant take pictures of sports, the 35-100 would work well for smaller sports and venues, the 75mm and 45mm focus fast etc.

For those times you need something else, you can always rent. It is cheaper than buying and is available in most larger markets that demand bleeding edge imaging.

The m43rds system takes fantastic pictures and is maturing faster than any new system on the market, it costs lest than FF and is a pleasure to use. Here are some examples of my work with the system

( I, Mr.Noflash, just quote one )

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

5. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50560896

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

I have been a professional photographer since the mid 1980s. Your impression (perhaps the current impression) of what it is to be a "professional" is flawed.

As a professional you don't have one camera, or even one format. Back in the film days you needed more than you do now. At one time I shot 4x5, 6x9, 6x7, 6x6, and 35mm sometimes all in the same week. I had a refrigerator just for film and paper. Those were complex times.

Digital has changed that, but I still keep several options.

I use Canon Full frame (2 bodies, 10 lenses) for what was once the larger format stuff. I still use it for portraits and weddings about half the time just because it's what I like.There is just nothing like an FF Canon with a 24 TS-E II for interiors. I keep that $2,000 lens for the 10 times I use it in a year because there is no alternative.

I use a Canon APS-C (now a 60D) for only one thing, wedding receptions with flash. I stick with that format mostly because I love the Tokina 10-17mm lens for dancing. It's the only non-rectilinear ultra wide zoom. It means I can shoot people and the room looks wacky, but they don't get jello-head as with a traditional wide zoom.

For travel and trail I use a GH2 because of the multi-aspect sensor. I can hike and move with a light kit so I spend more time out shooting. I use a 9-18, 45, and 100-300.

I also use an EM5 with 20mm, 45mm and 75mm, for weddings next to my Canons. I love being able to always have the EM5 with a little lens around my neck for a quick grab shot. I love the 75mm with the IBIS for dim wedding ceremonies and reception candids.

Personally, around the house I use almost exclusively the EM5. When I go on vacation, and other personal travel I take only the EM5 and lenses.

In the last year I have published images from all of these cameras, and I deliver photos to my clients made with all of these cameras and no one has any idea what camera made which image. It's my job to pick the best for the task at hand.

If you look closely at which I just tried to explain you will see that the camera or format alone aren't the sole determining factor. Is the task at hand that determines what I shoot.

I will say this. I haven't bought a new Canon mount lens in over 3 years, and I have sold a few. All the growth to my equipment closet has been m43. Next spring when the wedding season starts back up I'll get a 35-100 f2.8 and see how much I can do with it. I'd love to not carry the beastly Canon 70-200 on my shoulder all day (but I won't get rid of it).

There's lots of toe-in-the-water pros these days trying to get by with one system, maybe 2 bodies and 3 or 4 lenses. They will either expand what they own or hit a wall. Other than someone in a very specific and narrow market, no one is going to "go pro." with just M43 as it is currently available.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com

6. Lindsay D., http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50560320

Lindsay D wrote:

I'm a full time professional portrait photographer with a demanding clientele and I am currently making the switch to compact mirrorless systems. I will be holding back a couple of high spec DSLRs to cover the occasions when I need fast tracking focus (that would be some of the animal photography I do and catwalk). I envisage my compact systems being very successful, particularly the OMD. Some of my thoughts are set out here on my blog: http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/big-camera-syndrome-and-clients/

Both my new systems will be thoroughly put through their paces on portraiture assignments next month.

7. noohogging1 http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50559638

noohoggin1 wrote:

I'm in the middle of the switch to go all m4/3rds....sold my Canon 7D for the OMD, in the process of selling my 5D and L lenses to complete my m43 kit. And yes I shoot quite a bit for money/income.

8. Moti, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50559390

this should be red quoted: "We are doing mainly musical events, portraits and commercial photography and are now in the process of switching from FF dSLR to m4/3. I sold part of our Canon gear and bought an OMD and few lenses. A second body is on its way. I still keep one 5Dll and two lenses just in case but will sell it when I'm 100% sure that I don't need it anymore. Cheers, Moti"

9. Hen3ry, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50559272

Hen3ry wrote:

On this forum, they tend to think of someone loaded down with lenses and doing dramatic news or sports things, or someone loaded with flashes and doing weddings, or ...

I take pictures professionally all the time. People pay me money for them. I love that. I am published in websites, newsletters, magazines, print advertisements, packaging, posters, n stuff.

I now use m43. I stepped UP to m43 (G1 > E-PM1 > E-PL3) from a Kodak P880 and before that, a KonicaMinolta A200. I switched to them from a series of Olympus and Pentax 35mm outfits of significant quality and lens range.

My first published picture -- in a major daily newspaper -- was taken with a Box Brownie. i was on the spot when a racing car crashed dramatically. Not an action shot, of course -- I photographed the wreckage! I was a beginning radio journalist at the time! LOL................................

Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

10. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50562320

Clyde Coman wrote:

I was a track photographer at Hallett Motor Circuit in Oklahoma USA. I never used a FF camera. I worked my up to a Panasonic G1 from Panasonic FZ50. I did this for 8 years.

Mr.NoFlash's gear list:Mr.NoFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Leica Digilux 3 Samsung NX300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow