MX-1 DxOMark Test Up

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,211Gear list
Like?
Re: MX-1 has three killer features...
In reply to marike6, Mar 2, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Some here have suggested that the MX-1 doesn't have any unique features vs the competition like the G15, LX7 or XZ-2. IMHO, it's the combination of three features that make the MX-1 a standout:

1) Retro design with top/bottom brass plate. Perhaps Fujifilm did the retro thing first, but none of the above cameras have the retro charm of the MX-1. The LX7 is a nice looking camera, but the G15 and XZ-2 are sort of bland in terms of looks.

Hmm I personally wouldn't call those bland. I think all look unique in their own ways (all the ones you mentioned).  The MX-1 brass is for sure part of its unique selling proposition.

2) Lens, lens, lens. It's all about optics, and the MX-1's killer feature is the lens. It has a fast max aperture at both wide and telephoto and it's extremely sharp across the frame with no soft border or corners (see shot below from PopPhoto). Most ILC and DSLR kit lenses are f3.5-5.6. Such a fast zoom lens (28-112 f/1.8-2.5 with SR built into the body) simply doesn't exist on larger format cameras.

Well, yeah, but the LX7 and XZ-2 both have pretty good lenses. How does it stand out from them here?

3) Tilt-able LCD - like the XZ-2 and P7700, the MX-1 offers a tilt-able LCD. This feature is huge for macro shooters, and with spring coming is one reason the MX-1 appeals to me. Fixed LCD cameras are back breakers for low to the ground work. Overhead shots with a fixed LCD? Forget it. It's just point and that you're subject is somewhere in the frame. The LCD is one of the main reasons I'm interested in the MX-1.

But as you said, "like the..."   So that's the thing- what unique things the MX-1 has vs the competition. The competition is more really the XZ-2, LX7, RX100, P7700, G15.

Don't get me wrong- the MX-1 seems quite capable. But if you are referring to the question "what new does it bring to the table" then a lot of what you mention is precisely the kind of stuff already being done.

Now to me personally, I think one big win of the MX-1 is the interface/ergonomics. I will take the Pentax interface/UI/menu/ergonomics over the other cameras any day.  It's really better thought out and those cameras who have the "dial wheel+4button cross" "Canon Powershot wheel of death" as I call it :-), annoy me pretty quick.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow