Purple flare: Causes and remedies

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,758Gear list
Like?
Re: Excellent!
In reply to kenw, Mar 2, 2013

kenw wrote:

So I wonder if in your two examples (light just outside FoV and light dead center) we are in both cases seeing purple because of color channel pollution and color channel imbalance but that the optical cause of the pollution is different in the two cases. That's sort of why I was curious about a purple diagonal flare from an outside the FoV source. If you can generate (and correct) that it would seem to imply the horizontal/vertical pattern you see in the centered light example is from a different optical effect or reflection (and because of the vertical/horizontal effect something more related to the sensor or AA filter as the source of the polluting light).

I have now tried to make the first of the two types of flare, that from light sources just outside the frame, extend diagonally rather than vertically by tilting the camera. But ... this simply doesn't work. The purple streak always appears vertically within the frame even with the camera tilted right or left. So in this respect, the two kinds of flare behave in exactly the same column-row-like manner.

I would like to have some "nice" purble blobs of some other kinds to play with but this doens't seem to be all that easy to accomplish with lenses other than the 7-14, which in turn has some compatibility issues with the polarizer.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow