D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,589Gear list
Like?
Re: D300s vs D7100 - is it about spec or is it about handling?
In reply to Kris in CT, Mar 2, 2013

Kris in CT wrote:

D90 sold, 300 F4 will be here on Tuesday. Being the bargain hunter that I am, I have lurked around on ebay for the past month and managed to steal a Tamron 1.4x pro and a Kenko 300 2x pro (DG) for $50 each shipped. I'm thinking I will love the 300 F4 with the 1.4x so I am only loosing 80mm FOV but I think I can make up for that in sharpness and hopefully be able to shoot wide open at F5.6 with less PP.

Wow, I wish that I'd known you were looking for the kenko TC's.  I have/had both around here somewhere that I'd probably have given to you for shipping, assuming that I could find them....

The 1.4x isn't a disaster, but it will soften the images noticeably.  The 2x just didn't work for me at all, even with using best technique on a good tripod.  But, mine were bought back in 2004, so the newer versions may be better. Dunno.

I really like the Sigma 100-300 f/4 on the d300.  I used it a lot for outdoor sports, plus it has a rather short MFD, so I also use it a lot, even today, for shooting flower closeups.  I ended up also getting the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 for sport shooting.  Even so, the Nikon 300 f/4 has always had a magical, mystical pull for me.  I've been tempted, many times, to buy one, and always managed to shake it off.

My point is that you might want to consider the Sigma 100-300 f/4, at some point in the future, if you find the AF speed to be a problem.  Just make sure you can return it if it isn't to your satisfaction.  Also, Nikon has a bunch of TC versions.  Should you decide to try a Nikon 1.4x, make sure that you know what you're buying and that someone doesn't offer an old version for latest version prices.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow