70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?

Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,875
Like?
Re: 70D and 7Dmk2 is coming what to expect?
In reply to TTMartin, Mar 2, 2013

TTMartin wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

See the plastic chassis, see also that the lens mount is still attached even though the magnesium skin has been removed - the skin is just that, a skin - not structural.

Sorry it is simply a fact that all Canons apart from the 1D series have plastic chassis.

-- hide signature --

Bob

More BabelN2 fantasy.

The magnesium shell acts as a structural exoskeleton and everywhere it is screwed, it is screwed into metal and not plastic. It is not simply a cosmetic 'skin' as you suggest.

You might wish for that to be the case, but it is not in fact the case. Any teardown of these cameras that you see, it is quite clear that the skin plays little structural role. It is not even attached at the right places to play a structural role. For instance, the lens mount is not attached in any way to the magnesium skin, therefore that skin cannot play any part in the job of locating the lens in relation to the sensor, which is the most important role of the camera chassis.

Also clearly displayed in your photo is an additional metal reinforcement going from the lens mount to the tripod mount.

Look a bit more carefully, it is not connected to the lens mount at all. Moreover, it is not 'magnesium'. It is good old fashioned steel.

This magnesium exoskeleton

It's a skin, not structural. Sorry about that, but it is absolutely clear from the way it is attached and constructed. If it was an 'exoskeliton' it would need to be attached to the lens mount.

to steel internal extensions exists throughout the camera.

A more conventional term would be 'brackets'. Yes, there are plenty of them and they locate individual components. However, steel brackets are not a magnesium chassis.

Here you can see the steel frame that extends from the 7D exoskeleton and provides structural support to the back of the mirror box.

So while the mirror box is engineering plastic, it is not the 'structural chassis' as you fantasize.

It absolutely is. It is what the lens mount attaches to, and the sensor attaches to the back. That is the important structural component. In the 1D series, Canon makes it out of metal:

Now, why metal in the 1D and plastic in the 7D?

Over 19,600 posts and the misinformation continues to spew forth.

I’m BabelN2,

it’s my gratifying task

to tell you all you need to know,
you only need to ask.

the seas are thick with elephants,
the skies are purple straw,

you measure with an octopus,
you hammer with a saw.

I’m filled with facts and figures
I gratuitously share,

The stars are silver footballs,
tangerines have curly hair.

Gorillas fly at midnight,
and a month has seven years,

tomatoes play the clarinet,
bananas have long ears.

I’m BabelN2 ,
and there’s nothing I don’t know.

The moon is chocolate pudding,
macaroni grows in snow.

A buffalo is smaller
than the average bumblebee—

If you think of any questions,
simply bring them here to me.

Apologies to Jack Prelutsky

Not very good, and rather telling about you. I say something you don't like, but you don't have any evidence or sound argument that I'm wrong, so all you can think to do is spend your time thinking up some crude insults. That really is rather pathetic, isn't it?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow