D7100 raw file size. Is this a problem?

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Questions thread
woodsfortysix
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 raw file size. Is this a problem?
In reply to Brandon birder, Mar 2, 2013

I had a D7000 (just sold to make room for a D7100), and a D800 - shoot RAW and process everything in Lightroom on an iMac with 12GB of RAM.  D800 RAW files are huge - but for me it is a storage issue and not so much a performance concern.

Have modified my workflow - after import into Lightroom, will sort into three groups.  Those I know I don't want (delete from system), those I may want later, and those I want to post-process (flag).  Then work on only flagged images.  Typical download is 100 - 500 photos, so this process works best for me.

I do agree that downloading from the cards can be slower, so may want to consider getting some fast SD cards, and extra memory on your computer helps - as long as you change the preferences in your photo processing program.  Last, I use lossless compression on my D800 RAW files and that helps with the file size, number of files on a card, and download times.

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D4s +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow