Purple flare: Causes and remedies

Started Mar 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,756Gear list
Like?
Re: My finidings are the same as Surefoot's and I think this is sensor reflections
In reply to JamieTux, Mar 2, 2013

JamieTux wrote:

The reason being that they are clearly focussed and detailed and always purple - using my GF2 they are just normal flare.

When digital SLRs first came out you had either green or purple elements like this quite a lot when using non-digital optimised lenses - I think Sigma actually digitally optimised their lenses by adding a coating to their rear element just to cut this kind of thing down.

Yes, but I think what you are talking about in the second paragraph is a partly different phenomenon, i.e., the digital-sensor-reflection effect, where the light is reflected from the sensor to the rear elements of the lens and then back again. See here:

http://thesybersite.com/minolta/sensor-reflection/

Meanwhile, it has become routine procedure to coat lens elements on both sides and I find no reason to think that this particular effect is of much importance with newly designed, native MFT lenses.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow