A list of good/bad MFT lens for new owner?

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
josbiker
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
Re: 45-150 or 45-200
In reply to shihhan, Mar 2, 2013

shihhan wrote:

josbiker wrote:

If I like (or change) to steal an ISO stop, I can use a higher or lower shutterspeed or a higher or lower ISO setting or a higher or lower F stop.

What is the nett difference in the end?

Jos

Basically OIS means you can take pictures at longer shutter speeds than *suggested* by the 1/focal length rule.

So, say a 45mm MFT lens (90mm FF equiv.)... you should aim to keep shutter speed faster than 1/90 (in reality 1/80 or 1/100), to minimise hand shake.

OIS can typicaly allow you to steal 1 stop 90% of the time, and (maybe) 2 stops 70%, 3 stops 50% (there is no hard and fast *rule* as it is highly dependent on the lens and the photographer...)

So with OIS in the situation above, you would get 90% shake free pictures at 1/40 (1 stop from 1/80), 70% at 1/20, and 50% at 1/10 shutter speeds.

This means that you can try to shoot using a lower ISO then recommended, by trading 1 ISO stop for a shutter speed stop. Think of the exposure triangle, where if you keep Aperture the same, you have to gain or lose equal number of SS or ISO stops to keep exposure the same.

The problem with action shots, you really need around 1/250, 1/500 or even 1/1000 to keep motion blur at bay... (depends on the speed of the object) So OIS can't *steal* those in a way... the only benefit is that it helps you keep the ISO a bit lower.

For sports photography, a high ISO (1600 or 3200) and large aperture (f2.8 if possible) to achieve the high shutter speeds.

Many thanks again.

So, if I am satisfied with the noise of ISO 3200 with the f2,8 with OIS what is than the difference in comparising with the f1.7 without OIS (i can use perhaps ISO 1600 but I get a more blurried picture)

So what is the nett result?

josbiker's gear list:josbiker's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow