Started Feb 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Edgar Matias
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax's focus is Japan
In reply to flektogon, Mar 2, 2013

flektogon wrote:

Edgar Matias wrote:

I think that's a rather unfair summary of the situation.

All of those companies place bets on new products and new technology, according to their main base of customers. For Pentax, that main base is Japan. Sales in the rest of the world are gravy for them.

The Pentax Q has been very successful in Japan, and I expect the MX-1 will be very successful there too.

Having said that, they obviously don't think EVF or flash accessory ports are that important. I'm sure they have customer data indicating as much.

O.K. Let me then paraphrase my thoughts. While Pentax MX-1 is as good camera as for example Panasonic LX-7, or Olympus ZX-2, or Canon G-15, or …, there is nothing unique about it, why any, brand-wise unbiased potential customer would prefer it. So, if there are for example 12 cameras (in this class) currently on the market, I do not see any reason why the Pentax market share should be higher (or lower) than 1/12.

Perhaps today, but the fast-zoom small-sensor category will probably come under increasing threat by 1" sensor cameras. If Panasonic and/or Olympus move to 1" in search of bigger margins, that's less competition for Pentax. And they have all those Q customers who will be more loyal to small sensor cameras.

And as a Pentax fan myself I am disappointed, as I expected Pentax to come finally with something unique. So, the only unique Pentax camera remains the Q series, which I am not interested in.

Give them some time. Pentax and Ricoh have a pretty good hand to play. There will likely be a GRDV, and I expect it would have at least a 1" sensor in.

Edgar Matias's gear list:Edgar Matias's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow