Please help my Mom choose a camera

Started Feb 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,908Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help my Mom choose a camera
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Mar 2, 2013

Ever since I read your post, I've been searching for a camera and thinking about your mom. There are some things that I would emphasize on any camera you're thinking about: lithium ion battery and charger, not AAs; and a good grip, not a slippery, slick plastic body. I'd forget about price because it's your mom. She's one of a kind. So, swing for a nice camera for her. If she insists on paying $100, then pick up the rest.

I'm not partial to a brand right now in her case. Naturally, I would recommend Panasonic, but I haven't seen the exact model that I would want. I did find a Canon that looks pretty good to me for a mom present. It's the Canon Powershot SX500is. It's $227. Yep, more than $100, but a nice looking camera that won't slip out of her hands. One battery to worry about, not four. The only thing that I might be concerned about is the placement of the record button, but I'm seeing many cameras that have it where you'd place your thumb. Not sure why that is. See what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Wide-Angle-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B00908BMVE/ref=sr_du_1_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1362211934&sr=8-1

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow