Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,916Gear list
Like?
Importing Photoshop Elements/Album 2.0 Catalog into iPhoto - Some Success
Mar 2, 2013

Having inquired of this forum about importing my PS Elements/Album 2.0 catalog into iPhoto, i learned that for a program that old (2002), such an import would require installing later versions of these programs. Not willing to do that, I tried the old trusty "Brute Strength and Ignorance" method. Here's how I accomplished a PSE 2.0 catalog import of sorts from my XP Windows machine into iPhoto on my MacBook Pro, Retina (256GB, 2.3 GHz, 16GB):

• First in Windows I created a directory structure that mimicked the layout of categories, sub-categories and tags in my PS Album catalog
  • Then selecting photos in each category (or sub category or tag), I moved these photos to the appropriate location in my directory layout. This was necessary since PS Album has a bad habit of storing photos in locations based on how they were imported - not by it's associated category or tag.
  • Then using a flash drive, I imported each subdirectory of photos into iPhoto, attaching a keyword given by the Windows subdirectory name I had assigned. That way each group of photos in iPhoto now has a keyword attached similar to the tag that had been present in PS Album.
The result was largely successful. EXIF data as well as photo titles came across just fine. The only thing missing was the supplemental paragraphs attached to some of the images, which described some of the details about the image or post-processing applied. While not perfect, the import allows me to search for photos having certain keywords, just like the old method of selecting tagged images. For important images, I can still go back to Photoshop Elements/Album, copy and paste a paragraph into iPhoto, using Parallels.
I just wanted to share this method in case other forum members have a similar need.
-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow